Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Water, Water Everywhere...The Hydration Issue

I know, I know – the USATF has a guide to optimal hydration. I haven’t tried it out though – largely because it’s kind of a pain in the arse. I’ve noticed anecdotally from my conversations with other runners that I seem to drink an inordinate amount of water before, during and after a run compared to a lot of others. I sweat quite a lot though, so maybe I don’t drink that much. I just don’t know. For example, in the two hours prior to my fifteen mile run the other day, I drank 64 oz. of water. During the run, I drank another 40 oz. Immediately following the run I drank 16 oz. of Endurox and then another 32 oz. of water. I stopped there, but felt like I could have had more. I probably drank another combined 32 oz. of milk, coffee and orange juice earlier in the day and another 20 oz. of milk later that night. A pee test that evening told me that I was definitely NOT hydrated after all of that. Doesn’t that seem like a lot to be drinking without being fully hydrated?

Arrghh. I should probably just do the stupid test.

No comments: