Monday, November 15, 2010

Day #7: Coyotes

I've lived at my current home for three years, so I know that they're there. I've heard their howling countless times, so I also know that there are several of them roaming my neighborhood. However, I never actually saw them - until my run today, that is.

I walk my dog every night around 7pm. Ever since the time change, however, things have been a little, well, odd. He keeps seeing things out in the blackness that I can't and tries to pull me off the road toward the woods. Last night, as I was finishing up my walk, I heard a very menacing growl directed toward the dog but, as usual, I couldn't see anything.

So, I decided to wear my headlamp on my run tonight - which was three loops around my neighborhood. I saw nothing on the first two loops, but as I was heading toward the site of the previous night's growling I saw the first coyote - which immediately ran into the back yard of the house whose yard it had been standing in. Then, as I reached the spot where I saw the first coyote, I saw another under the next streetlight. It also ran away into the woods separating my development from the next one over. Of course, where there are two coyotes, there are likely more - probably several more.

I was still about a third of a mile away from my house and, to make it even more interesting, I had to turn my back to both coyotes to get home. Let's just say that was the fastest part of my run...

Distance: 2.04 miles
Time: 16:25
Pace: 8:03
Weight: 207

No comments: