Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I’m Streaking

So says Lora in her comment below. And she’s right – in two ways. First, I ran two miles last night – not incredibly far, but I did run them around my “old” pace last night – which is 8:00/mile.

It was also my fifth consecutive day running (which will be six after I go to the gym this afternoon). This got me to thinking about running streaks and the concept of whether to run every day or not.

As for me, I’m at my best when I run every day. Out of curiosity, I went back and checked my running logs to determine my longest running streaks. The longest was 135 consecutive days during which I ran 157 times. My second longest streak was 98 days –with only one run on each day.

I’ve been told many times that rest days are essential for the body to recuperate – and I acknowledge that days off would most likely help this aging body recover more completely. I just can’t do it though – and here’s why. I’m a slacker by nature and I need the discipline imposed by running every day. I’ve tried training plans where I run 5 or 6 days per week and I always use the days off as excuses not to run. So, a typical 6 runs per week - 50 mile week would look something this:

M: 5 miles
T: off
W: off
R: 7 miles
F: 12 miles
Sa: 10 miles (intervals)
Su: 15 miles

So, I’d start off with the shortest run of the week, then take the next two days off – yes not one, but two - justifying that by saying “Well, if I can take one day off…”, then I’m left filling in most of my mileage at the end of the week – including putting the speed work too close to the long run. It’s inevitable, I do it every time.

However, if I force myself to run every day, then I’m much more likely to do the workouts exactly as I’ve written them out for the simple reason that there’s less wiggle room. As for easy days, I’ve always considered any distance of six miles and under done at an easy pace to be an easy day.

So, what do you think? What’s your longest running streak? Any thoughts on running every day? Leave a comment and let me know.

6 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I don't know what my longest streak is. Probably around 25 days. But on my "off" days, I usually do some form of cross training. So even though they are off days from running, they aren't complete slacker days.

I was just reading the chapter about recovery in Pfitz' Advanced Marathoning book last night. Do you have the book? I think what he says about recovery days (and rest days) makes alot of sense. I think for most runners a rest day is necessary and does more to improve their game than running days on end without a rest. I also think what he says about the proper order for workouts makes a lot of sense - in terms of when and why to do hard/easy days.

For me personally I like to get a harder and/or longer workout out of the way on a Monday (which is when my training weeks start). If I get it out of the way, I feel like I have a good start to the week and like I have more flexibility in the week if something comes up with work or life and interferes with my training schedule. I know alot of schedules call for Monday to be a rest/cross day, since it typcially follows long runs. But I have found that taking my rest day on a Monday isn't good for me personally. I like to have my rest day mid-week. Then I feel like I've already done some decent workouts and like my body really needs a rest before the other workouts resume.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Jeez - that was a long comment. Sorry to be a space hog!

Maria said...

Not sure of my longest streak either but it's probably not that long. I tend to take a rest day [from running] but like Cindi nearly always use that day for some other form of exercise. I like to do too many things! Argh.

It's interesting, I don't particularly like having rest days during the week even though my free time is shorter on those days. I feel like a slacker or something and then become unmotivated the next day I run. Whereas if my rest day is on the weekend (likely Sunday) I won't feel bad not running and getting something else in and then revving back up on Monday.

Maybe it's the mental image I create to picture the week in my mind. ???

Jen Jones said...

I'm not a fan of off days! I really think when you are a high mileage runner, 7 days a week is best. Luckily, my coach feels the same way. I probably a one rest day every 2-3 months tossed at me. And, I always do something else on those days. When you're fit, "easy" days, if truly easy feel like off days (at least to me). I bet you feel the same!

Like everything, it depends on who you are and what your goals are :)

Keep on runnin' Trev. See ya in Boston 2010!

solarpowered said...

I don't think you should take a day off yet. ;) You're running low mileage, you're taking it easy... don't fall out of the habit you are restarting. It's too easy to get comfortable with rest days. Just my thought for you.

That said, I don't have a long running streak. I learned early in my running that I have to be kind to my knees :) I LOVE having Mondays off. Mondays always feel like a long day back at work after the weekend -- I'm usually on my feet all day, on "stage" all day, and so I'm wiped out when I get home. It's a good day to rest my legs. I then decide later in the week if I'll take another day off (Friday, usually) -- but I usually swim or do yoga or bike or something on that day. Never two days off in a row, though!

Tom said...

I've gone back and forth on this over the past year. If your choice is 7 or you really fall to like 4 or 5, then your answer is obvious - you need to stick with 7. My only suggestion is in the case is to keep it to 45 min / 8:30+ kind of run.

It's difficult for me to break 65 miles with a full day off. This time of year, I'm taking a day off. As racing season gets rolling, it will probably be more like 1 day off every 2 or 3 weeks. For me though, I'd rather run every day, I just think I need the recovery.